Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Our helmet graduate!

We are just back from an appointment with Ramona at the Hanger Clinic in Syracuse. She confirmed what Dr. Taylor said last week: Leah is done with the helmet! She hasn't been wearing it much over the last week, so we are very happy to hear that we don't have to put her back in it.

Ramona took a scan of Leah's head again today, and showed me the before and after in her office of the scans. She's working on a final report of Leah's progress and will give it to us in about a month, so I don't have photos to show at this point of her head shape, but these that we took at home capture the change in Leah's skull shape and face since the surgery and after helmet therapy:





Ramona was really pleased with Leah's outcome, and I did say that we were VERY careful to follow the helmet directions to the letter. She wore that thing for almost exactly 23 hours per day for EVERY day that we were doing the helmet therapy. We missed that one 24 hour period where she had the terrible rash on her forehead, but otherwise we adhered to the plan exactly as they asked us to. Leah never really minded it, though we can tell that she's happy to have it off. She is still having some trouble navigating the world with a head that hurts when it is bumped, but that should only last a few more days! Of course, we are starting to realize, every time she bumps her head, that there are definite advantages to having a helmet on your child when she is learning to walk!

P.S. It turns out that those helmets are like greenhouses on the inside. All that heat and humidity did wonders for Leah's hair, as evidenced by the photos above!

2 comments:

  1. I found this blog on an Internet search. As a mother of two, I am SO VERY HAPPY of Leah's outcome and resilience through this whole process. Our daughter was diagnosed at birth with right coronal craniosynostosis and our Peds Neuro gave us the same choices yours gave you. Your blog has been a life saver in terms of information and walk-through as to what to expect in the healing journey we're starting for our little April. Had I not crossed with your blog, I don't think I would have been prepared for all the little surprises along the way, as of swelling post-op, and doctor's apps pre-op (I've had my pupils dilated and it's a royal nightmare). Anyways, I believe the little ones are way more resilient than what we think and I just hope April can take all that's coming her way as well as your Leah did. Thank you! God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! I LIVE IN BELGIUM AND MY BABY WAS BORN LAST MONTH. I SAW RIGHT AWAY THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IS EYE AND HEAD SHAPE. WE ARE NOT SURE HIS SUTURE IS CLOSED. THE OSTEOPATH SAID IT WASNT AND HIS FONTANELLE IS OPEN. BUT HE LOOKS LIKE A CASE OF CORONAL CRANIOSONOSTOSIS WITH THE HEAD SHAPE LIKE YOUR LITLE GIRL HAD. PLEASE TELL ME MORE INFO ON THE SURGERY. IM IN SO MUCH PAIN. YOU PROBABLY CAN IMAGINE. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THERES IS SOMETHING I CAN DO... WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY. ALLBTHE BEST

    ReplyDelete